Thursday

This Time Last Year...

...we had just deplaned and were introducing Isabella to her big brothers and extended family for the first time. We, in the adoption community, call this special anniversary "Forever Family Day". It's the day we will celebrate each year for the rest of our lives. It's the day Isabella was "born" into our family. It may be strange to imagine how special this day is if you haven't had the privilege of adopting your daughter or son. Whether my children are biological or adopted the same emotions are present the moment we introduce them to their extended family for the first time... be it in a busy airport or a warm hospital room. I remember the elation, gratitude to God, joy, thankfulness, giddiness and exhaustion all rolled into one. Below is what I posted one year ago today.

"Our plane landed late in the evening on April 30, 2008. Isabella was completely asleep in my arms on the plane and had zero interest at being awakened, changed and primped for her first meeting with her extended forever family. She was a trooper, though! It was the best feeling in the world to see our whole family waiting for us (with signs and balloons) when we got off the plane. My favorite moment was when I had just gotten off the escalator and I had all three of my kids in my arms for the first time. It was brief, but it was probably the best moment of my entire life! It was so hard being away from the boys for nearly a month while I was in Guatemala. Seeing them love and hold their sister right away made it all worth it. I think Isabella's favorite moment was when Grami handed her an Elmo balloon. She stared at that thing the whole night. I think she thinks it's another member of the family! How am I going to break it it her?

'The Lord has done GREAT things for us, and we are filled with joy.' (Psalm 126:3)"

Tonight, in honor of Forever Family Day, my hubby and I watched the video together. All those great emotions came flooding back. A lifetime of prayers were answered in that one moment last year. Thank you, Jesus, for your faithfulness.

23 comments:

Our Family of 5 said...

Happy Forever Family day!!

Lund7 said...

I got tears in my eyes watching that video clip! Forever Family Days are so special!! She looked so adorable in that white dress as she arrived home!

Steph said...

Happy Day!!!!! I remember seeing your hubby on the plane and thinking "I know that guy!!" he actually sat by my father-in-law on the way to Guatemala. Isn't that funny? :)

Hope you had a wonderful family day celebrating!

Arena Mom said...

Happy Forever Family Day!!! Enjoy the memories!!

Mama Bunny said...

Oh happy day! Happy 1-year-home Isabella. :)

Misty Rice said...

Awe thanks for making me cry first thing this morning.

Happy Forever Family Day....

I am VERY familiar with this kind of moment and day, although I have never adopted a child.

I use to be a State Certified Guardian Ad Litem. (A VOICE FOR CHILDREN)....

I witness many time in which a child was removed from an abusive home, and some beautiful family adopted them out... the day the judge granted them that child was always a beautiful moment.

God Bless.

Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness, God is so GREAT. Thank you for sharing your video yet once again. I tear up everytime I see or read about someones homecoming. In no time our children will be grown, but the emotions of this day will never be forgotten.

God Bless

Anonymous said...

Happy one year ..Amazing how much they change our lives!!!

hugs,leslie

Joanna said...

You had such a beautiful homecoming! How very special your family made it so memorable for you! I'll never forget walking into my house with all the grandparents and family there ready to meet (and fight over) who gets to hold Myla. Such amazing memories! Congrats for having your little baby home for 1 year!!

Laurie said...

Happy 1 year Forever Family Day! I can't believe it's been a year! I remember following your journey and so thankful when you were pink! :)

Jaimee said...

Happy Forever Family Day! Since I followed your entire journey, I remember your posts and elation when this day finally came. I had tears in my eyes watching. What a sweet tribute!!!

The gFamily said...

Happy Forever Family Day!! It brought tears to my eyes to watch it all over again! Such a wonderful day! I remember having all three of my kids around me for the very first time. It was emotional for me as well! We are so very blessed!!

Nevididi said...

Isabella is so beautiful! I love the pictures you take also. I have photoshop, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do anything on it lol

Hannah said...

That brought tears of joy to my eyes. Such a beautiful moment. I am so thankful for the path in life the Lord has blessed us with.

Happy Forever Family Day to your entire family!!

God Bless.

Gina said...

Happy Forever Family Day!!

Love to you all!

Gina

Anonymous said...

What a sweet video! Happy forever family Day!!!

Susie said...

So many blessings for you and your family since that faithful day. I remember watching this video over and over again last year. Isabella was sooooo tiny. Still sad we never got to meet while in Guat together, but confident the Lord will bring us together in this world soon. Hugs, Susie

Heidi said...

Congrats on your special day! You described how I felt so exactly! It really is like her "birth"day into your family. What a great way of describing it.

Darcy said...

Love this post. . so special!

April said...

so sweet, love the video, thanks for coming by my new recipe blog, you must send me some recipes from Hawaii at ajsweeney@bellsouth.net

Drew said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It gave me a chance to discover yours. I really enjoyed reading about the adoption of your beautiful daughter. The frames you use on your site are beautiful. I'm trying to figure out how you did the text so perfectly around the circle frames. Looks like you could teach me a thing or two (or more) about Photoshop!

BTW, in my comments section, I listed what I can remember that I did with the fix-it picture. Here I thought I'd get a chance to be a slacker this week. :)

I'm keeping you in my prayers regarding the skin cancer. Have a great day!

Jaime said...

Happy Forever Day!!! I can't watch those video's without tears of happiness, so sweet.

I love that you have that moment captured in time.

Drew said...

That got me all emotional! What an awesome moment.